West Odessa First Baptist Church

A place where all are important!

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > A Life of Obedience

Donna
Administrator

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 7:21

As I check in on my social media page(s), I am often amazed by the number of people who are posting about how wonderful Jesus is and how much they love Him…yet those same people never (or rarely) darken the doors of the church! Or they may attend church on Sunday, only to live the rest of the week totally immersed in their sinful lives. How can we say we love someone we never spend time with? How can we claim we follow Him yet live our lives in total disregard for His will in our lives? We treat God as if He is this great, big benevolent Grandfather who smiles indulgently at our disobedience. We break His heart everyday by our willful sin and expect Him to just smile and casually shrug His shoulders as if to say “oh well, that’s o.k.” I expect many people will be like those in the Matthew 7:21 who say He is Lord but never actually do His will and follow Him.

God calls us to be a holy people, set apart from this world; to be a light in the darkness of sin; to show others the way to live a life pleasing to Him. We can’t pick and choose the sins we will hang on to and the ones we will give up and expect a holy God to bless us. “For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.” I Thessalonians 4:7-8

If we truly wish to honor God and tell the world how much we love Jesus, then let’s do more than post a picture on our pages and say the empty words. Let’s live our lives as a total offering to Him and honor Him in ALL that we say and do! Let’s strive to “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect” Matthew 5:48. That is a tall order that none of us will be able to fully achieve this side of heaven, but that is what we are commanded to do if we are truly His children! Our God is a mighty warrior who expects us to join the battle – not just a kindly old grandfather patting us on the head when we misbehave! Let’s live our lives as an offering to the Holy God!

--

:)     Donna Clark

WOFBC Worship Leader

June 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.